So, I think I’m more or less done the extension.
Someday, when I’ve got more extension development experience under my belt, I’ll probably come back to this and fix it up. Until then, this will have to do.
If you’re interested in looking at the source, just change the file extension from “.xpi” to “.zip”, and decompress. It’s all there.
There’s no license on this thing, no GPL, MIT, nothing. Use it however you want. If you find it useful though, I’d love to hear from you – send me email, post a comment, Facebook, Twitter, whichever.
Whew. I think I’m going to reward myself with some orange sherbet. Om nom nom…
Here’s a really annoying website to test the extension with. I really don’t recommend that you visit it without my extension installed.
The window hops around a bit, so just double click on the location bar, and type in something like “http://www.google.ca”. This will start up the flood of alerts, and (hopefully) you’ll be able to suppress them after the first one hits.
I’ve moved the extension to Mozilla Addons, and added Firefox 3.5 compatibility.
I’ve updated alertCheck.xpi so that it’ll play nice with Firefox 3.0b5, and hopefully Firefox 3.1.*. Let me know if there are any behaviour foulups, and I’ll do my best to fix them.